Sasha’s research interests are focused on bridging the gap between advanced materials and their practical integration into applied superconducting systems. Some of the areas on which her research concentrates are on: the design of superconducting synchronous machines such as motors and generators; development of advanced protection schemes for HTS employing fiber optic sensors and integrating improved electrical insulations that have proven performance enhancements such as thermal conductivity, dielectric properties and quench propagation.
Dr. Ishmael’s projects with Professor Schwartz are mainly joint collaborative work with industry partners. Prior to joining the research group she worked in industry for approximately seven years. She was responsible for the design and testing of several resistive and superconducting magnets for a variety of applications. Some of these applications included: DC superconducting magnets for electrical power generation, pulsed magnets for steering catheters, resistive magnets for proton therapy systems and for research at national labs. She also strongly supports diversity and is passionate about mentoring people of diverse backgrounds in education and research.
- S.A. Ishmael, M. Holcomb, J. Schwartz, “Investigation of the Transport, Quench and AC Loss Properties of MgB2/Normal Metal Composite Wires” (In preparation)
- S.A. Ishmael, M. Slomski, A. Hunt, H. Luo, N. Mandzy, J.F. Muth, R. Nesbit, T. Paskova, W. Straka. M. White, J. Schwartz, “Thermal conductivity of titania-based electrical insulator for superconducting magnets” Superconductor Science & Technology 22(3), (Online 2014)
- S.A. Ishmael, H. Luo, M. White, A. Hunt, X.T. Liu, N. Mandzy, J.F. Muth, L.Ye, G. Naderi, F. Hunte, J. Schwartz, “Enhanced quench propagation in Bi2Sr2CaCu2Ox and YBa2Cu3O7+x coils via nanoscale, doped-titania based, thermally-conducting electrical insulator,” IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity 23(5), (2013) (Cover image) (Awarded Best Contributed Paper for 2013, Van Duzer Prize)
- S. Pamidi, J. Kvitkovic, U. Trociewitz, S. Ishmael, R. Meinke, G. Stelzer, “A Novel Magnet for AC Loss Measurements on 2G Superconductor Rings and Coils in Axial and Radial Magnetic Fields” IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity 22(3), (2011)
- S.A. Ishmael, S. Mezani, P.J. Masson, R.B. Meinke, J. Leveque, “Simulation of Magnetically Triggered MgB2 Switches” IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity 21(3), 1449-1452 (2011)
- S.A. Ishmael, J. Leveque, D. Netter, R.B. Meinke, P.J. Masson “Experimental investigation of MgB2 switching using magnetic pulses” Advances in Cryogenic Engineering 1218, Cryogenic Engineering Conference, 238-245 (2010)
- S.A. Ishmael, C. Goodzeit, P.J. Masson, R.B. Meinke, R.L. Sullivan, “Flux Pump Excited Double-Helix Rotor for Use in Synchronous Machines” IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity 18(2), 693-696 (2008)